Pages

Monday, September 10, 2018

BOOK REVIEW: Lust in London

Review by Brenda McIntyre


I’ll admit it: I’m envious of Alicia West. While I consider myself a writer, West is a wordcraft. The sex in Lust in London isn’t just hot, it varies. When the main character, Anna, has a somewhat disappointing encounter, the reader can sense it as the scene unfolds. Trust me, I’ll be analyzing the tricks West used to achieve this effect.

The other thing West does that I don’t is this: She takes her time. I tend to jump right into the heavy stuff. West provides a slow burn that builds to a passionate climax. (See what I did there?) This is something I’ve been working on in my own writing, and I’ll be using Lust in London to learn more about this technique as well.

The story is about a woman named Anna Vandoorne, CEO of a property development company. This is where West lost me as a reader. I know nothing about real estate or property development, and the drama of Anna’s position was nonsense to me. The important thing is Anna is a powerful CEO of a big corporation who travels all over the world. It serves as a way of getting her from one steamy encounter to the next, and (for me, anyway) nothing more. Consequently, I would have enjoyed a little less corporate drama and more hot bedroom action. Of course, a lot of people tell me scoring with a corporate exec is one of their top fantasies. Honestly, it doesn’t even make my list.

Still, it was refreshing to read something that wasn’t simply trying to be a clone of Fifty Shades, and it was even more of a pleasure to read a book that had obviously been edited. So much erotica I read (especially through electronic media) is filled with errors in spelling, punctuation, word usage, etc.

Don't let the subtitle fool you. Lust in London is not a romance in the traditional sense. While Anna has two different companions she'd like to see more of, none of the characters is at any point interested in "settling down."

I recommend Lust in London for those who enjoy an erotic read. Four out of five stars. You order your copy HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment